The Holiday Season is a Joyous Season!
when it comes to the Holidays to protect
your pets with some simple precautions:
** No Christmas Dinner! - (Human style, that is) Be sure to watch unattended food & secure the lid on trash cans. Bones can cause choking problems and the rich food can make
for an undesired sick stomach.
**Watch that tinsel - Young or old, your feline friends love this sparkly, dangly plaything. Bat it or bite it, they'll spend a while having fun. But swallowing that tinsel can lead to an obstructed
digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. And speaking of decorating that tree....
**Secure the tree - Cats & dogs both may want to "play" in the tree. Be sure it's secured and if you have a live tree, be sure the water stays fresh to avoid
your 4 legged family from becoming ill on stagnant water. Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws' reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical
shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth.
**Mistletoe & Holly - To be on the safe side, keep your holiday decorations well out of reach, especially those made from live plants. If ingested, Mistletoe can cause stomach upset and in
some cases, heart problems. Holly can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And many varieties of lilies, can cause kidney failure in cats.
**Santa's Coming - Treat your pet to an appropriate gift! Dogs tend to tear apart those cute little stuffed toys leaving the stuffing all over your house and sometimes in their
esophagus', stomachs or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are pretty much indestructible or treats you can give out. Cats love to play with stringy toys, ribbons, & yarns. But
they can have the same problems as the dogs. Treat them to a stuffed catnip toy or a ball too large to swallow.